The University of Saskatchewan (U of S) is a Canadian public research university, founded in 1907, and located on the east side of the South Saskatchewan River in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.An "Act to establish and incorporate a University for the Province of Saskatchewan" was passed by the provincial legislature in 1907.It established the provincial university on April 3, 1907 "for the purpose of providing facilities for higher education in all its branches and enabling all persons without regard to race, creed or religion to take the fullest advantage".The University of Saskatchewan is the largest education institution in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan.The University of Saskatchewan is one of Canada’s top research universities (based on the number of Canada Research Chairs) and is a member of the U15 Group of Canadian Research Universities (the 15 most research-intensive universities in Canada).The university began as an agricultural college in 1907 and established the first Canadian university-based department of extension in 1910.There were 120 hectares (300 acres) set aside for university buildings and 400 ha (1,000 acres) for the U of S farm, and agricultural fields.
Discoveries made at the U of S include sulphate-resistant cement and the cobalt-60 cancer therapy unit. The governance was modelled on the provincial University of Toronto Act of 1906 which established a bicameral system of university government consisting of a senate (faculty), responsible for academic policy, and a board of governors (citizens) exercising exclusive control over financial policy and having formal authority in all other matters.
The president, appointed by the board, was to provide a link between the two bodies and to perform institutional leadership.
The scope of the new institution was to include colleges of arts and science, including art, music and commerce, agriculture with forestry, domestic science, education, engineering, law, medicine, pharmacy, veterinary science and dentistry.
Saskatoon was chosen as the site for the University on April 7, 1909 by the board of governors.
On October 12, 1912 the first building opened its doors for student admission.